Kitchen Geeks products are for home chefs, professional chefs, and anyone else who wants quality products in their kitchen.
How To Care For A Chef Knife
Wash it by hand (NEVER put it into a dishwasher) and dry it immediately by hand – don’t let it dry on its own. Why? Water drops can dry and cause pitting on the blade, which will weaken the blade over time.
Store it in the original box to protect the blade from getting damaged, getting dull, or accidentally cutting someone.
How To Properly Hold And Use A Chef Knife
How To Sharpen A Chef Knife
All Kitchen Geeks knives arrive razor sharp and ready to use, but over time they will dull as you cut.
Sharpening devices NOT to use:
- A typical round steel sharpening device included with many knife sets. Why? You can’t correctly set the exact angle for each side with each stroke.
- Powered knife sharpeners (unless you’re trained to use one). Why? They can wear away the blade incredibly fast or completely damage it.
Sharpening devices you SHOULD use:
- A knife sharpener that sits on your counter and you pull the knife through. The sharpening components typically cross each other and give you the exact angle every time.
- A knife sharpening service near you – just search for “knife sharpening service” on Google or Yelp and you’ll find them. They cost more than doing it yourself, but your blade will be factory sharp every time.
How To Use Our Bottom Release Fat Separator
Wash it by hand before using it for the first time, but if you must use a dishwasher – be sure that it’s on the very top shelf away from the heating element.
Once you’ve washed it, we suggest testing the fat separator by pouring approximately 1 cup of water into the base and then adding a few tablespoons of vegetable or olive oil to the top.
Please the separator over your sink, hold the separator in your hand, and depress the red button on the handle. You should see only the water come out, but the oil will come out after the majority of the water has been emptied.
When you’re ready to use this after cooking and you need to strain vegetables or other large items, be sure to insert the strainer on the top before pouring the liquid and items into the fat separator.
Step By Step
1. Ensure the mesh filter is laying on the top of the fat separator
2. Make your broth or gravy
3. Use a ladle or pour it slowly over the mesh filter on the top
4. Wait for the liquid to settle
5. Place a pot or large bowl on your counter or table
6. Hold the fat separator over the pot or bowl
7. Press the large red button and release it when you start to see the oil get close to the bottom.